Thursday, August 30, 2018

Week 2: Overview of Social Media

The platforms I think seemed to be geared towards personal use are YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Pinterest and Twitter. All 4 have similarities when it comes to sharing your likes, dislikes, opinions..etc. We have all seen opinions put out on all platforms, just in different formats via video, pictures and written posts. Since almost 100% of everyone that has a smartphone can access these so easily through apps, it is full proof that if someone has 1K followers/subscribers on one platform, they will likely have 1K throughout the rest of the others. 

Most startup businesses have two major challenges: limited cash flow and limited manpower. The platforms I think that would be more suitable for business use are Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. It also depends on the demographic you’re trying to connect with. With a very large number of people using these social media platforms, it allows your customers interaction to seem personal and seamless.

Personally, I only use Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. I have searched through other social media platforms and found that for personal use, they weren’t for me. Facebook, YouTube and Twitter could be used for both personal and business accounts. With the obvious Facebook, you can have your personal account where you connect with friends and family. On the business side of things, there are groups that are geared towards Facebook marketing campaigns. While I was working with Chick-fil-A, I was introduced to this campaign that presented possibilities for strengthening customer loyalty. YouTube is another way that both personal and business can succeed. The site can be reached just by a Google search, making it extremely easy for users to access. According to estimates, there are 680 million Twitter users. Tweets are only allowed 140 characters, making news easy to break up whether its personal or business. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello, Caitlyn. I enjoyed reading your post on purposes of various social media platforms. I found it interesting that we both agree that Instagram can be used for both business and personal use, while Pinterest is really suitable for personal use. I think that it probably because both of us have encountered examples on Instagram where businesses have openly advertised their products, or at least discreetly hired popular Instagram users to advertise their products for them. For example, I heard that Tiffany's, the jewelry company, hired several popular Instagram users to take pictures wearing their jewelry in order to attract millennial customers. Pinterest does seem to just work for individual users, though. No one ever goes on Pinterest and expects to have companies actively trying to advertise to them. Pinterest instead functions as an online space for visually categorizing stuff that individual users are interested in kind, like a collage of information and images. Anyway, thanks for the engaging post that you wrote this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlyn
    I agree with you I also use Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest those are the ones I enjoy the most. Also good idea about using u tube I didn’t even think about that one for my business to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Caitlyn, very well thought through. I agree with everything you said in your post. Your grasp of market demographics and deliberately targeted advertising seems impeccable. Those skills, combined with your knowledge of the issues startups often face, will be very helpful to your future endeavours. Thank you for your post, and I look forward to reading more of your content as your knowledge base continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caitlyn, I really enjoyed your post. You had a lot of great ideas that I hadn't thought of. When trying to think of social media platforms used for business I immediately thought of Instagram/Facebook but Pinterest is a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caitlyn! I also feel that social media can be a way for businesses to quickly get in touch with their customers. I am still getting used to Pinterest, but I like how easy it is to promote yourself on FaceBook and Instagram. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were a lot of points and platforms you brought up that I did not even consider. Very well written. In my experience, I have found Instagram to be the easiest for business and personal.

    ReplyDelete

Week 17: Wrapping It Up

This semester I learned how to utilize social media for my business to grow. I don’t think I want to open my own business just yet, but I...