Thursday, September 6, 2018

Week 3: Communication-Business and Consumer

I remember visiting to a small boutique in San Diego looking for a dress for an upcoming wedding. I chose a few dresses and ended up purchasing them to see which one matched my husbands attire. Since he wasn’t with me, I thought I would return the ones that I wasn’t going to wear. Fast forward a few days later. I go back to the boutique trying to return 3 dresses. I didn’t realize that there was a no refund policy on anything. I was a little upset seeing as I was out a ton of money. The manager was not in the store and there was nothing that the employee could do for me. I called the next day and the manager still wasn’t in the store. I tried looking for their website, but all I got was an Instagram handle that I had to direct message to sort it all out. Long story short, the manager was extremely kind in refunding me back for the dresses. The effort it took to get ahold of a small business was challenging. If they had a website, Facebook, or an email attached to their profile I think it would have been quicker to get ahold of someone. 

Since social media is so widely used, it is easier to get noticed or get your problems solved. Companies have no choice but to listen to their customers if they are wanting to grow successfully. I would respond to people who like my product or service because I feel that when companies do that, customers feel connected and engaged. If someone were to post something negative, I would respond to that as well and either ask them to email me or I would reach out to them specifically to get the issue resolved. I think that shows a lot of character in the people running your business and shows that you care about your customers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlyn
    I totally agree with you, I respect more of the businesses that respond to their customers to me it means they care about them and their business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlyn,
    I agree that having an accessible web presence is an important part of running most any small business. Another important part of running a small business is the manner in which the business responds to questions, comments, and concerns.

    ReplyDelete

Week 17: Wrapping It Up

This semester I learned how to utilize social media for my business to grow. I don’t think I want to open my own business just yet, but I...